Monday, October 1, 2007

Some Pregnancy research


I have quite a few friends right now who are pregnant, so I thought I would do some major research on it. I've been reading about all the different options for about 12 years now, so I will hopefully be prepared to be pregnant when the time comes (hopefully within the next year). So I thought I would share this research with all my friends (saving them valuable time, as it took about 15 hours to put together this email). If your opinions on a subject are different from mine, that's ok - I don't mind - as a librarian, I just like everyone to be informed about all the options - and these options just make the most sense to me. :) Please feel free to pass this email on to your friends and especially pregnant women. Thanks!
Melissa Neece
MLS Library Science
PS. I will post updates as I continue to research. This site is not meant to be read in one sitting, but to peruse over several days for those who are interested in the topics. Lots of great articles!

Table of Contents: Breastfeeding, Birthing Centers, Cloth Diapers, Parenting Magazine Subscriptions, Prenatal yoga and exercise, Natural Family Living Ideas, Chiropractors, Slings, Circumcision, Sleeping Options.

Breastfeeeding

Birthing Centers
Birthing Center stories - good point of reference for Birthing plans in hospital rooms - a pregnant woman should figure out what she wants done and not done in the hospital room and give a written list to her doctor well in advance. I personally prefer birthing centers, but its a personal choice for everyone. The best way is to prepare in advance and know what you want.
My friend Tonya delivered here:
My friend Lisa delivered here:
Cloth Diapers
Seriously consider using cloth diapers - these days they are made out of new materials, are better for your baby, and usually are cheaper than disposables!

on ebay look for cloth diaper +AIO (All in One - doesn't need a diaper cover)
Here is one online store for cloth diapers (+more) - there are a lot out there, just google it - this is just an example site of what all is available: http://www.earthbaby.com/
Here is another with a sample package:

Magazine Subscriptions
Great Magazine suggestion: www.mothering.com Mothering Magazine
http://www.fitpregnancy.com/ Fitness during pregnancy
For large families: www.aboverubies.com

Please email me or comment on some of your favorite pregnancy/baby magazines.

Prenatal yoga
Natural Family Living Ideas:

Try the keyword "Natural family living" on Google. Updates coming soon!

CHIROPRACTOR:
My chiropractor that I highly recommend - I know several pregnant women who love her:
Crossroads Chiropractic

Elizabeth Taylor, DC

3129 S. Carrier Pwky.

Grand Prairie, TX 75052

USA

http://drelizabethtaylor.chiroweb.com


drtaylor@crchiro.com

(972) 641-7111



Slings = an absolute must for any new mom:
Awesome articles - a must read:
Slingezee - www.slingezee.com
Weego - www.weego.com
Kozy Karrier - www.kozykarrier.homestead.com

Circumcision
: Find out the facts before you do it - There is a lot of research out there - both pro and con. Now that I and Kevin are better informed, I know we would never choose this procedure if we have a boy.
How Common Is Circumcision?
Circumcision is almost unheard of in Europe, South America, and non-muslim Asia. In fact, only 10 to 15 percent of men throughout the world are circumcised. The vast majority of whom are Muslim. The neonatal circumcision rate in the western US has now fallen to 34.2 percent. This relatively diminished rate may surprise American men born during the era when nearly 90 percent of baby boys were circumcised automatically, with or without their parents' consent.
Britain's circumcision rate is less than 0.1%.
"A piece of skin the size of a quarter contains more than three million cells, 12 feet of nerves, 100 sweat glands, 50 nerve endings, and almost three feet of blood vessels. Circumcision removes a piece of skin almost equivalent to a 3 x 5 index card."
Female circumcision is considered a human rights violation. Male circumcision should be also considered as such.


Sleeping through the night
:
Good article on sleeping options: http://www.diaperpin.com/articles/article_CosleepingKeepingItSafe.asp



Currently watching :
Birth Day
Release date: 11 November, 2003

No comments: